The Peters Township School District provides guidance counselors at all levels. Elementary guidance counselors address the academic, social and emotional needs of students and their families. The Elementary Guidance Curriculum addresses personal, social and early career development through classroom lessons. Counselors assist students’ development of interpersonal skills through individual and small group counseling. Students may be referred to counselors by parents, teachers or through self-referral.
Grades 4 and 5A:
Mrs. Brenda Gruhn
Grades 5B and 6:
Mrs. Stephanie Ali
Visit Core Body of Knowledge
Guidance counselors teach classroom lessons which enhance students’ personal and social development. Lesson topics include:
- Setting and achieving personal goals
- Bullying Prevention
- Conflict Resolution
- Stress Management
An additional activity related to the Guidance Curriculum is Career Day. Students have the opportunity to hear presentations by speakers representing various career paths.
Bullying is inappropriate behavior and will not be tolerated at McMurray Elementary School. Students who bully others will be disciplined. Bullying behaviors fall into five categories: physical, social, verbal, intimidation, and cyber-bullying. If you would like to report a bullying incident, please contact Mrs. Gruhn (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Ali (email@example.com).
Responsive Services for Students
Guidance Counselors provide the following services:
- Individual and small group counseling for all students with an identified need
- Consultation with parents, teachers and Child Study Teams
- Participation with Individual Education Plan teams
- Facilitating grade level transitions
- Providing information about guidance related topics to parents and staff
- Liaison with mental health resources in the community
- Member of Elementary Student Assistance Program
- Presentations to PTA
- Coordinate PSSA and standardized testing
Student Registration Information
Click here for information regarding registering your student for the upcoming school year.